"A Beautiful Life deserves a Standing Ovation" - Mrs. Cecil Thiagarajah.

 


    Life brings tears, smiles and memories. The tears dry, the smiles fade, but the memories last.

    I would like to share with you a passage from the Holy Bible… The first epistle of Paul to the Thessalonians, Chapter 04: verse 14 says…

    “We believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep”

    We cannot deny the harsh reality of death. It rips apart life’s closest bonds, loneliness and opens floodgates of tears. But there is a greater reality, the will to go on living with hope. Jesus Christ broke the power of death. Because of Christ’s empty tomb we can be full of hope.

    There are many facets to the personality of Mr. Veerasingam that I find it very difficult to begin capturing the essence of my friend. Vibrant faith in his Creator was the dominant characteristic of his life.

    I was with his adorable son, Breman in grief and prayer over the phone when he was in the United Kingdom. He wept bitterly and I was speechless. As the saying goes, ‘Words are poor comforters, the heart knoweth its own grief.’ Even in the midst of tears Breman said to me “Aunty, you are Appa’s best friend”. Of course! He is my best friend too!”, so much to say, it’s indeed my great privilege to pay tribute to my best friend. A memory to be treasured.

    Life doesn’t always unfold the way we want it to. Veerasingam has found that peace and rest which this world never ever truly gives. God saw Veerasingam struck down unfairly by a dreaded illness and a cure was not to be, though his beloved wife Malar labored and toiled to bring him back to normal life through their utmost attention, care and prayers. So, Lord Jesus put His arms around him and whispered “Come to me” and Veerasingam entered glory on the 27th of November, 2020 to become a citizen of heaven. Lord Jesus says “In my Father’s house are many mansions, I go to prepare a place for you”, what a comforting promise! This unchangeable home is for you and for me.

    The memories of our friendship remain so vivid that I felt compelled to share with you a brief personal reflection. The good times we shared mean such a lot to me.

    My last telephone conversation with him was during the latter part of October, 2020. Unlike the usual calls, we went on chatting for a pretty long time, not knowing that was his final call. We exchanged pleasantries and he was very happy. When we were about to call off, he said to me, “Why don’t you come over to Kallady and spend a couple of days with us?” Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it due to the demise of his brother-in-law and so on and so forth. But I had the privilege of spending the day with the Veerasingams on the 1st of August 2018 which was his birthday; a perfect family mix.

    Gone are the days when we had the English services on Sunday evenings at the Puliyanthivu Methodist Church, Veerasingam, a constant attendee for these services. He has a powerful voice and knows almost all the hymns in the English hymnal and leads in the singing. If not for him, it would have been an organ prelude by me.

    He attends the Puliyanthivu Church only for special services. Otherwise, he goes to the Palugamam Church. I was taken by surprise when his wife Malar said to me that Veerasingam said that he is not very familiar with the members of the Puliyanthivu Church, but Cecil (that’s me) is there. After the service is over, he’ll walk up to the right wing of the Church where I am normally seated and we discuss so many things, always practical in his advice.

    I’ll have to wind up now. If I go on, it will be a never-ending epistle. Veerasingam received a call from his Mighty Maker to claim His own. As Veerasingam sailed across the shore to eternity, I have no doubt the good Lord would have said “Well done my good and faithful servant, you have been faithful with a few things. Come and share your Master’s happiness”.

    The words from the gospel Matthew 25:23 would have resounded at the gates of heaven as Veerasingam entered glory and walked into the open arms of our saviour Jesus Christ. Veerasingam! You have gone from my sight but not from my memory. My love and regard for you will never cease.


Mrs. Cecil Thiagarajah.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Remembering ‘Veerasingam Ayya’" - Dr. Philip G. Veerasingam

“My Teacher, Mr. Daniel Gnanasothy Veerasingam" - Rev. Kanapathippillai David Jebanayagam

"Sothy Bappa’s Memorial" - Dr. Queenie Veerasingam

“வீரசிங்கம் அங்கிள்,” நீங்கள் இல்லாத உலகில் நான் - அன்பு சித்தார்த்தன்

"ஜீவனின் அப்பம்" - Jeevanin Appam | Sung by Daniel G. Veerasingam

"About Sothy. From Selvar Anna." - Jacob. G. Veerasingam

About My Good Friend from School Days, “Daniel.” - Mr. Elkanah Alagurajah

என்றும் நீங்காத பெறா மகன் கபிலனின் நினைவுகளிலிருந்து...

"God’s Comfort and Strength in Our Times of Grief" - Ebenezer Veerasingam

“கிறிஸ்துவுக்குள் மரித்தவர்கள் பாக்கியவான்கள்” - உடன்பிறவா சகோதரி, சலா