“My Teacher, Mr. Daniel Gnanasothy Veerasingam" - Rev. Kanapathippillai David Jebanayagam

My memories of Mr Veerasingam are still very fresh, and I treasure them very deeply in my heart. I met this stylish, compassionate, innovative, thoughtful, and delightful person a few times, and he made a huge impact on my life.  I met Mr Veerasingam when I was 14 years old in my formative years at a Methodist youth camp in 1975 in Komari. He played a great part in facilitating a lively youth group discussion and leading the gathering in singing with his guitar with 600 strong young people gathering from the North & East part of Sri Lanka. 

None of us will ever forget his broad smile and his hearty laugh. None of us will forget those moments when his eyes danced with delight over someone’s happiness or great accomplishment. Nor will we forget those moments when his eyes welled up with tears over the great pain or grief of someone. None of us will ever forget seeing his head lifted up in song – he loved to sing! None of us will forget how he gently raised his voice to sing praise songs and how he extended his hands to welcome people into which Christ calls us. He had a handshake and an embrace in which we all experienced something of the fullness of Christ’s love for us all.

I had another opportunity to encounter Mr Veerasingam as my physics teacher. He was invited by the school administration to offer extra afternoon physics tuition classes for the A/L students at Thambiluvil Maha Vidyalayam (Secondary School) in 1977 when the school suffered from a lack of science teachers in those days. Sir Veerasingam came to rescue us!

I admired him as a committed disciple of Jesus Christ and a great physics teacher. I learned much from him. I was encouraged by him. I was challenged by him. I appreciated his wisdom borne of many years of his teaching profession. I was grateful for his counsel. And I always had the sense that when he said, “I’ll hold you in my prayers”, he really did. There was a genuineness, a modesty, and holiness in him that enriched my life and many others.

He was respected and admired for his enduring commitment and outstanding contributions to the Education sector. His profound enthusiasm and dedication in his commitment merited him with a reputation as an undisputed excellent teacher, an educationalist and humanitarian. Mr Veerasingam was not only a progressive leader, but he was also held in the highest esteem and regard by the people in the communities, Schools, Colleges,  churches, students, colleagues and friends.

If I could sum up Mr Veerasingam in one word, it would be grace. He was incredibly thoughtful, helpful, unstinting in the amount of time and advice he was prepared to give. In all the years I knew Veerasingam, he gave me unfailingly excellent and thoughtful advice on a range of topics and always asked how I was doing in God’s ministries. I will miss him.

Veerasingam exuded humility, kindness, gentleness, generosity, respect, humanity, charm, passion and insight. He did for the Christian Mission & ministry, education and charity sectors were extraordinary; he was both a visionary leader and a catalyst for making big, impactful changes occur. He achieved all of this with incredible modesty, humility and humour.

Finally, In remembering the manner of Mr Veerasingam’s living, witnessing and dying, a prayer written many years ago by someone comes to mind.

“Teach me, O Lord, not to hold on to life too tightly. Teach me to hold it lightly; not carelessly, but lightly, easily. Teach me to take it as a gift, to enjoy and cherish while I have it, and to let it go gracefully and thankfully when the time comes. The gift is great, but the Giver is greater still. Thou, O God, art the Giver and in thee is the life that never dies. Amen.”

Upholding his dearest wife Malar, son Ebey, family members and relatives in my prayers.

Rev. Kanapathippillai David Jebanayagam

Superintendent Minister,

Romford Methodist Circuit - the Methodist Church in Great Britain

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Remembering ‘Veerasingam Ayya’" - Dr. Philip G. Veerasingam

"Sothy Bappa’s Memorial" - Dr. Queenie Veerasingam

“வீரசிங்கம் அங்கிள்,” நீங்கள் இல்லாத உலகில் நான் - அன்பு சித்தார்த்தன்

"ஜீவனின் அப்பம்" - Jeevanin Appam | Sung by Daniel G. Veerasingam

"About Sothy. From Selvar Anna." - Jacob. G. Veerasingam

About My Good Friend from School Days, “Daniel.” - Mr. Elkanah Alagurajah

என்றும் நீங்காத பெறா மகன் கபிலனின் நினைவுகளிலிருந்து...

"God’s Comfort and Strength in Our Times of Grief" - Ebenezer Veerasingam

“கிறிஸ்துவுக்குள் மரித்தவர்கள் பாக்கியவான்கள்” - உடன்பிறவா சகோதரி, சலா